Re: how thick steel angle ok for self tapping screws?

I've had no trouble up to 1/2" with the right screw drill point.  (I don't remember the number of drill point, but it was something like 4 or 6?)  The erectors said they went in like butter.

"Haan, Scott M POA" <Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil> wrote:
How thick of a steel angle can #10 or #12 self-tapping screws be connected to?  I have normally seen people use powder driven fasteners for connecting stud clips to steel angles but have recently seen a detail using self-tapping screws.  It seems like it would be pretty labor intensive screwing deflection clips to a ¼? steel angle.

Thanks.

Scott M Haan

Mark Pemberton, S.E.

Pemberton Engineering