From: Haan, Scott M POA [mailto:Scott.M.Haan(--nospam--at)poa02.usace.army.mil]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 10:21 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: how thick steel angle ok for self tapping screws?

Bill:

According to this guy
http://www.compassintl.com/section2/dartsrule.htm#SELECTION%20GUIDE the total thickness of all the layers of steel should not be thicker than the flute [drill point] otherwise the screw tip won’t work.  For a 3/16” angle with a 14g clip you are talking a total thickness of .1875+.0713=.26” and this is thicker than all the drill points I have been looking at.

Has anyone specified No. 12-14x1” into 5/16” angle and had problems with installation?

Thanks.

Scott.