From: David Merrick [mailto:MRKGP(--nospam--at)winfirst.com]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 2:40 PM
To: SEAINT
Subject: Costly seminars and Code corrections

Web Seminars $225, $2 for each additional person. This is cheap for a
minority of larger companies.
How about the Slab Seminars for over $1000?

I recall that seminars did cost as much as it took to rent the hall. The
benefits for the lecturer were to fulfill the need to give back to the
engineering community, to have the honor to list such on a resume and to
be recognized to hire the best engineers. This still is the case but now
what is that extra money being used for? To insure a standard of care,
lectures should be given in a free format that all receive with feedback
possible from all engineers.

The seminars that I have recently participated in came with a bag of
secrete interpretations for code flaws. This is a motive to pay the big
bucks, see all seminars, or to be left out. Or, is it that the
interpretations are being left out of a standard of care by being
restricted to a minority of engineers?

Such corrections or interpretations should not be considered a standard
of care when only a minority population has the privilege of hearing
about them and responding to them. Many interpretations may be reducing
quality, and not be needed other than for a false competative edge.

The seemingly highest participation is on this list-service. This
list-service may be the true source for a standard of care to interpret
short comings of the code. I notice that many code writing participants
and lecturers are not participating on this list service. If they hold
special ideas for their lectures that are limited to a minority of
engineers then those ideas, are probably not of a general standard of care.

This new system of high seminar costs and specialized lecturers is fresh
and works. The monetary return for poorly written codes is a system
easily corruptible. I suggest that Seminars should be on-line and free,
supported by membership dues, open to all including non-members,
lecturers donating time.

--
David Merrick, Structural Engineer