RE: Bridge slide bearings

Aren’t there manufactured bearings of this kind that would be a better “fit” for this? In effect they’ve already done the “engineering” and you just have to make a selection?

From: Garner, Robert [mailto:rgarner(--nospam--at)moffattnichol.com]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 2:00 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Bridge slide bearings

I'm designing a walkway bridge slide bearing using a steel base plate bearing/sliding on a uhmwpe (ultra-high-molecular-weight polyethylene) sliding surface.  There is 3" of design movement.  Does anyone know what allowable bearing pressured should be used for the uhmwpe?  I have questions in to plastics manufacturers but I think they all have the holiday weeks off.