From: Mark Johnson [mailto:markajohn(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Monday, December 19, 2005 9:42 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: FEMA 350 & ANSI/AISC 358-05

Ben,

Thanks for the answer.

   I see that the new AISC 341-05 (2005 Seismic Provisions) references
AISC 358 for SMF and IMF, but not for OMF.

So I'm thinking the building code (UBC here in S.J.) would reference the
AISC Specification which would trigger the AISC Seismic Provisions if
you want to use an R of 3.0 or greater.  These provisions say use a
prequalified SMF or IMF as specified in AISC 358, or you're stuck with
testing a prototype.  Is that correct?

  Or, is there a way to do an OMF without using an IMF, SMF or testing
and still satisfy the UBC?  IBC 2003?

  Thanks,
MJ