Column Design

After frame analysis we get two sets of forces at each end of a
vertical member (column). But while doing design we generally require
only one set of forces. So can any one help which set of forces have
to be considered. Becase its not allways possible to get the bending
moment diagrams and shear force diagram and axial force diagrams and
then finding the maximum values among them. Even by doing so all the
maximums may not occur at only one point on the line. So its quite
confusing. Can any one help in this regard.

The similar question applies to beam also.

Thanks
Santhosh