Re: Column Design

) Yes it means one set of forces at each end. There are two ends of
the column for which we get a total of two sets of forces.

) We can get the bending/SF/axial diagrams for each column from the
forces at their ends.

For example, a column of height 10 m is there. We get the bending
moment diagram in both the directions (say X and Y). Let the maximum
bending moment in X-dir occur at  2 m from the bottom and max. BM in
Y-dir occur at 5 m from bottom.

We get the axial force daigram, Let the maximum axial force be at the
bottom of the column.

But all these are not at the same location from the bottom, so which
section of the column is critical for design.

And another thing, let us suppose we have 500 columns in a structure.
Then we cant do bending/shear/axial diagrams to find max
bending/shear/axial for each column.

The general procedure I saw is one takes maximum of the column
reactions for design. But I feel one should also consider the
direction of the moments at both the ends. If they are in same dir how
to take their effect, and if they are in opposite direction how to
consider.

Santhosh