Re: Column Design

> From: Santhosh Kumar Yedidi <sant527(--nospam--at)gmail.com>

> The general procedure I saw is one takes maximum of the column
> reactions for design. But I feel one should also consider the
> direction of the moments at both the ends. If they are in same dir how
> to take their effect, and if they are in opposite direction how to
> consider.

I'm still not clear on what you are designing ... the end connections or
the column?

If you have force effects that are opposite, you must consider both
cases for design, epecially if the section is not symmetrical.

Generally, the controlling end reaction load case includes some (or all)
of the maximum/minimum reactions. It is common, for connection design,
to assume an artificial load case using a set of the max/min reactions
that will provide a worst case condition. End connections are frequently
small relative to the member capacity due to design considerations at
other points in the member. Sometimes, it is convenient to simply
specify a connection to develop the full capacity of the section.
Depending on your requirement, you may have to do an analysis for at
least two reaction sets at each member end.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International