Re: Column Design

> From: Scott Maxwell <smaxwell(--nospam--at)engin.umich.edu>

> a thing happens but it could.  Thus, ideally one should be checking at all
> points along the length of a member.  This obviously not a practical thing
> to do in general.  Thus, typically one checks at some descrete interval
> (which is what a lot of structural programs do when they do code checks)

A caution: Software improves your efficiency to locate controlling
sections and effects. Most software will do code checks at regular
intervals along a member for a "best guess". You can improve the "guess"
by reducing the spacing of analysis points at the expense of processing
speed.

> check things there.  Or one could just take the conservative route and
> just check a "hypothetical" situation by using the maximums of all the
> primary members forces (i.e. maximum axial load plus maximum moments) even
> if those maximums occur at different locations along the length of hte
> member.

This is used a lot. However, when you have a large number of members
with similar loadings, you want to be more efficient. When optimizing,
one needs to be wary of code check vs stress response, since they may
not have coincident max/min values.

Regards
Paul

--