RE: Booked a tour of the Skywalk?

Well Bill, let's see what the claims are:

The accomplishments per the advertisements:

         "Passed engineering requirements by 400 percent....enabling it to withstand the weight of 71 fully loaded Boeing 747 airplanes (more that 71 millions pounds"

        Can take a 100 mile/hour wind -  (will this be enough!!!), from eight different directions no less.

        Will be able to withstand a 8.0 magnitude earthquake.

        And has a million pounds of steel...

        Of course, this was featured on page 042 of the January issue of Wired magazine.

        According to the website, the same engineers also were involved in the Taipei 101 building and were involved in the Hoover Dam.  Obviously they've been around a long time, because the Hoover Dam was built in the 1930's.

I was looking forward to a nice quite new year when you mentioned the simple inspection reports.   The last couple of years there's been the simple inspection reports where the project calculations were never checked before being issued, the drawings weren't complete, there was either no plan check or the county building department just took the money and there was virtually no inspections and the builder didn't follow the plans anyway.  (About three instances).

Just no fun.

But yesterday I was practicing hydraulic engineering.   The project consisted of digging a number of drainage trenches around my office building to divert the heavy rains from going under the building and floating away.    Water was coming off the hill, out of the hill and shooting (a little bit) out of the gopher holes as well as just plain raining cats and dogs.

Happy New Year to all of you.

Neil Moore, S.E.
neil moore and associates

distressed structures investigations