METRICS AND OTHER DELIGHTS

Let me throw in my penny's worth of opinion.

I believe there is nothing profoundly wrong with using
Lb as force or lb as a mass
as there is nothing wrong with using kG for force
or kg for mass.

(It is my own preference to be using capitals
when a force is involved.)

The only danger in such dual usage is that some confusion may ensue.

Please remember that "metric" does not necessarily mean SI.
Newton was not in vogue until 70-ties or 80-ties.

In older texts, for metric readers, you can see kG/cm2 as a unit
of pressure. The Japanese work in that system still today.
Of course, it is not as consistent as SI convention.

One comment for those that dislike metric.
True, there is many millimeters to show the height of a building.
But then, there is no need for fractions.

The fact that the US is the only country clinging to a system devised by Romans
should be a sufficient motivation to drop it.

Sincerely,
Gregory from Oz