Motherboards

For the techies in our midst.

I recently upgraded my secondary computer motherboard to one similar to the one in my main system.

An ASUS P4P800SE.  It assembled OK and all features are working except I cannot get the chipset drivers to install.  At about 15% it hangs the computer and also causes the W2000 OS to be corrupted.  I have to repair the OS each time I try.

1)    I have tested the memory

2)    It has been suggested that my W2K OS is not a "genuine" one.  That, like XP might not get the right upgrades.  Don't think that's the problem because although I inherited the OS with an old computer, I still get all the updates etc.

Has anyone had this problem?

Thanks

Thor Tandy P.Eng MIStructE
Victoria, BC