Structural Plan Review Question

Has anyone out there been personally involved in the process of convincing their local Building Department to implement review of structural drawings and calculations as part of the permit review process? Our state and local building departments do not have engineers on staff qualified to review our work, so they only take a cursory glance at the structural drawings on most projects. The SEANM has been discussing the advantages of independent review of structural design work and would like to hear if any other organizations have been instrumental in convincing their local governments that this is a good thing.

Please copy your response to me privately as I’m pretty far behind in reading my mailing list digest. Thank you.

Chuck Hanson PE, SECB