RE: Structural Plan Review Question

I worked for a local building department in a home rule municipality.  They actually hire structural engineers to do the work who are willing to work for the pittance – just kidding guys.   Authority to do structural review was in the city’s charter which I believe had to be voted on by residents.  I also think the state had to grant the local government the authority to do structural plan review.  That stuff happened way before my time.

The municipality had different service areas.  The Building Safety Service area only covered parts of the municipality.  I think the building department had it put on the ballot several times to bring the entire municipality under it’s jurisdiction and the homebuilders did some effective campaigning in the outlying areas and put the cabosh on it every time.

If you want local structural plan review, I would start by calling with your local city council man, city manager, state legislators and mayor and also try to convince  the people who run your local building department – the ever powerful local homebuilders association.

From: Chuck Hanson [mailto:chuckh(--nospam--at)dpsabq.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 1:03 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Structural Plan Review Question

Has anyone out there been personally involved in the process of convincing their local Building Department to implement review of structural drawings and calculations as part of the permit review process? Our state and local building departments do not have engineers on staff qualified to review our work, so they only take a cursory glance at the structural drawings on most projects. The SEANM has been discussing the advantages of independent review of structural design work and would like to hear if any other organizations have been instrumental in convincing their local governments that this is a good thing.

Please copy your response to me privately as I’m pretty far behind in reading my mailing list digest. Thank you.

Chuck Hanson PE, SECB