From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 04, 2006 8:52 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Elevator Sump Pit

Are elevator sump pits mandatory by some code of the elevator industry?  I have a condition in expansive soil with a fully suspended floor system.  It would be easier to build an elevator pit on void forms without a sump pit.  The architect said he thought it was required by the elevator industry.  Does anybody have a reference where this would be required?  Neither he, nor I, have any elevator specific codes.  I would hate to detail it without a sump pit and then flunk final inspection.

Thanks.

Rich