From: Christopher Haffner <chaffner(--nospam--at)gorge.net>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Wed, 4 Jan 2006 11:01:29 -0800
Subject: Fiber Reinforced Masonry Grout

Two questions:

I have a client that has requested the use of fiber reinforced grout to
reinforce an un-reinforced hollow core masonry wall in lieu of using normal
grout and mild steel reinforcing.  Has anyone used this type of grout and if
so what was your experience?

We are reinforcing an existing un-reinforced masonry concrete block wall
(not normal CMU block but somewhat similar characteristics) building and
need to get some reinforcing inside the voids and grout the reinforced cells
solid.

Does anyone have a suggestion (trick) on how to physically get mild
reinforcing bars inside the 7.5"x12" voids (yes - they are a weird size in a
weird system) prior to grouting?  This is why the fiber grout is being
considered.

Chris

Haffner Consulting Engineering
www.haffnerconsulting.com