From: Gary Hodgson & Associates [mailto:ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca]
Sent: 5-Jan-06 08:56
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Stirrups in Footings

List,

Yesterday, I got a call from a contractor customer who is going to
Guatemala to help supervise school construction for a non-
denominational church group.

He was supplied drawings of a 1 storey masonry structure that called
for a footing 18" x 6" with 3-10M (#3) longitudinal bars and 1/4"
wire stirrups at 6" centres.

He questioned the 6" spacing, considering it overkill.  Can anybody
advise me what code(s) are applicable in Guatemala?  Does this
spacing sound reasonable?  Here, in non-seismic Southern-Ontario, we
would neither put stirrups nor transverse bars in our footings.

Any comments would be appreciated.

Gary