From: daneshvar.ahmad [mailto:daneshvar(--nospam--at)pidec.com]
Sent: Tuesday, January 03, 2006 11:02 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: spectral response acceleration definition

Dear Bruce,

Hi, I believe the first and third paragraph is completely right, But there is a misunderstanding in the second one. My comment is as follow:

We need short (0.2 sec) and long (1.0 sec) period “spectral response acceleration” to construct “response spectrum curve” accordingly. Short period spectral response acceleration Ss is similar to Ca in 97 UBC.( as a measure of constant acceleration part of response spectrum curve for relatively rigid structures with short period), and long period spectral acceleration S1 is similar to Cv in 97 UBC (as a measure of constant velocity part of response spectrum curve for relatively flexible structures with long period). Therefore, after constructing of response spectrum curve the spectral response acceleration for other periods to be extracted from this curve. Code permits to evaluate the Ss and S1 for location between the contours of the maximum considered earthquake ground motion’s maps by interpolation.

Have a good presentation!

Regards,
A. Daneshvar
Civil Dept., PIDEC