From: Polhemus, Bill [mailto:BPolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 8:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Glu-Lam "Bents" --> Church Sanctuary

As long as I can remember I have seen these typically two-piece glue-laminated timber “bents” used to support church sanctuary roofs. They typically provide the lateral resistance component for the building as well.

Is there some sort of industry-standard name for this kind of structural element, or type of construction?

William L. Polhemus, Jr. P.E.
Senior Associate
mailto:bpolhemus(--nospam--at)wje.com

WJE
Wiss, Janney, Elstner Associates, Inc.
Engineers I Architects I  Material Scientists
10235 West Little York, Suite 245
Houston, Texas 77040
P: 832-467-2177    F: 832-467-2178
http://www.wje.com

*********CONFIDENTIALITY NOTICE*********
The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged. This email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual or organization named above. If you are not the intended recipient, or an authorized representative of the intended recipient, you are hereby notified that any printing, saving, reviewing, disseminating, or copying of this email and its attachments, if any, or the information contained herein is prohibited. If you have received this email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and delete this email from your system.