RE: Usage of STAR section

I had my car painted a couple of years ago.  It had rust in the rocker panels and the body shop cleaned out what rust it could reach, then coated the inner panels with a product I believe is called Por 15.  It supposedly encapsulates the metal, preventing oxygen from allowing the metal to continue rusting.  Where they used this coating, there has been no rust.  Elsewhere, however, the cancer continues.

Bob Garner, S.E.

From: Bill Allen [mailto:T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net]
Sent: Monday, January 09, 2006 11:29 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Usage of STAR section

I am designing some precast concrete site walls. I am connecting them to the footing with embedded steel plates in both elements which will be field welded together.

I have a concern about corrosion.

Is there a coating (paint) which is effective in an environment such as this (buried in dirt), but is not cost-prohibitive such as epoxy?

TIA,

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers