Elevator shaft

My fellows,

I am designing an elevator shaft for a commercial building located in zone 4 area. Are there any special structural requirements for the shaft? This is a two story building and the size is about 54'x400'. I proposed to divided the buidling into three portions longitudinally. How to determine the amount of separation between those portions?

Thank you in advance for your suggestions.

Edward