Re: Usage of STAR section

Has it been specified in any code that these type of columns should be avoided ?

Regards,

Ritesh

Bhavin Shah <bhavin.design(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
Dear James,

Thank you for reply. I would like to add few points regarding Torsional buckling.

As the column (STAR shape) may buckle because of lateral bending about one of the axis x or y ( perpendicular axis to the cross section). Hence, there are three critical values of the axial load as follows :
             1) Causing lateral buckling in x direction
             2) Causing lateral buckling in y direction
             3) Torsional buckling

In general, torsional buckling is important for columns having wide flanges and short lengths.

Regards,

Bhavin Shah