Re: Beam design

We know R.C. beams always subjected to some kind axial loads and bending moments. It doesn?t matter whether that beam is horizontal or vertical, you have to design the beam for whatever loads you have along the beam according to ACI 318-05 9.3.2 thru 10.12.3.2 based on (1) stress and strain compatibility or (2) using ACI 10.3.6 approximate equation.

Due to beam self-weight, for horizontal beam, you?ll have additional beam moment (M) to consider along the beam and for vertical beam, you?ll have additional axial load (P) to consider at the bottom.

We used to apply strength reduction factor differently where you treat that member as beam (0.9) or column (0.70 tied or 0.75 spiral).

New ACI 318-05 has all these factors built in. You don?t need to worry if it is a beam or a column now. You only need to determine if it is tension-control or compression-control based on the applied factored loads (Pu & Mu). It also tells you how to apply the reduction factor if you have in-between situation. Please note that the strength reduction factor for compression-control sections has been reduced from 0.70/0.75 to 0.65/0.70.

I have use MathCad to come up a Beam-Column design procedures per ACI 318-05 for rectangular section subjected to axial load, uni-axial or bi-axial bending. It is free if you like to try that out.

T.J. Fu
Louisville, KY

Santhosh Kumar Yedidi <sant527(--nospam--at)gmail.com> wrote:
I am sorry, I am not getting the replies.

What I meant was, Generally members lying horizontally are designed as
beams, ofcource but columns are defined as those members irrespective
of its direction if there is some significant axial load acting.

So in my case if the beam is subjected to axial load then we cant use
the beam theory to design it.

On 1/9/06, David Fisher wrote:
> Gerard:
>
> Thanks for saying that...
>
> When I see questions like that, it really gives me the creeps.
>

> David L. Fisher SE PE
> Senior Principal
> Fisher + Partners Structural Engineers inc
> 372 West Ontario
> Chicago 60610
>
> 312.573.1701
> 312.573.1726 fax
> 312.622.0409 mobile
> www.fpse.com
>
> David L. Fisher SE PE
> Director
> Head of Design and Construction
> Cape Cod Grand Cayman Holdings Ltd
> 75 Fort Street
> Georgetown Grand Cayman BWI
> mobile 312.622.0409
> www.ccgch.com

Yahoo! Photos ? Showcase holiday pictures in hardcover
Photo Books. You design it and we?ll bind it!