From: Daryl Richardson [mailto:h.d.richardson(--nospam--at)shaw.ca]
Sent: Tuesday, January 10, 2006 9:06 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Bolt force in round column

Rich, Bob,

        Actually, you can simplify this quite a bit by using the area of a bolt equal to 1.00.  This give

A = N,

I = (N*r^2)/2,

c = r = radius of bolt circle

Hence

Bolt force = P/N (+-) 2*M/(r*N)

since it's more common to specify the bolt circle diameter it also becomes

Bolt force = P/N (+-) 4*M/(d*N).

Regards,

H. Daryl Richardson