RE: Desktop Search

FWIW, There is an advanced portion of the desktop that can be activated
that comes w/a disclaimer about the transmittal of personal info.  I
have that turned off and am running Google Desktop (GDT).  See below.

-----start of disclaimer from GDT-------
Other
Advanced Features 	 Enable Advanced Features

Information about web pages you visit may be sent to Google to
personalize features such as the news shown in Sidebar. Other
non-personal usage data and crash reports may be sent to Google to
improve Desktop. To learn more about our privacy protections, read our
Privacy Policy.
-----end of disclaimer from GDT-------

Mike