RE: Bolt force in round column

I was thinking of the utility industry that does not grout column baseplates, but relies only on the anchors for tension and compression.

Bob Garner

From: Rich Lewis [mailto:seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:48 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Bolt force in round column

Thank you all for your responses.  I got to thinking about this after I sent the note and came up with the same basic conclusion.  What through me off at first was the compression forces are bearing of the column, not the bolt.  I was looking at it as a column baseplate with tension bolts, only all the tension bolts were in different locations.  I guess if I look at it as just the bolts taking compression and tension I will get an answer pretty close to the real life situation of bolts in tension and column steel bearing in compression.

Rich