From the "forensic" - long-term - standpoint, if they are planning carpet flooring, the flexible diaphragm is OK; for rigid flooring (hardwood or stone) it may be a problem due to the aforementioned reasons.

For a wall, I would use two layers of rebars, and design the footing for a cantilever.  For the diaphragm, I would place a concrete slab (thinnest possible) over plywood to resist the lateral compression.

Steve Gordin SE
Irvine CA

----- Original Message -----
From: Joe Grill
To: seaint
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 8:44 AM
Subject: plywood diaphragm restrained fdn wall

I am working on a foundation for a residential structure for a co-worker in our office.  I took the opportunity to try to set it up on Risa3D as we are trying to minimize the CMU (here most fdn walls are CMU) thicknesses.  By the way, this morning the local axes display miraculously worked (don?t know what I was doing wrong yesterday).  Due to the depth of the foundation he will probably still have to use 12? CMU and use the floor diaphragm as restraint at the top of the wall.

If a person assumed a rectangular box basement with the same fill on opposing sides then the diaphragm/floor assembly will be in compression, and in my case about 500 plf to the diaphragm.  The floor joists will be perpendicular to this direction so I will suggest he install some blocking at some spacing to get nailing into the diaphragm.

I guess this is another one of our questions regarding the IRC code.  The IRC would allow this for a 9? high basement wall with no further consideration in the floor diaphragm.  He has 10? walls.  Will the plywood diaphragm take this magnitude of compression?  It seems that historically it will.

Any comments?

Joe

Joseph R. Grill, P.E. (Structural)

Shephard - Wesnitzer, Inc.