From: Gale45man [mailto:gale45man(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 4:19 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: AWS D1.1 v. ASME IX - WPS and PQR

Our design drawings require conformance to AWS D1.1
and submittal of WPS, PQR, welder and inspector
qualifications, etc.

The (Canadian) contractor has submitted a WPS and
corresponding PQR that are based on ASME IX. I am not
familiar with pressure vessel and piping codes.

Since the WPS indicates that the qualified thickness
range is 1/16" to 0.672", and the steel plate to be
welded is 1" thick, I don't have any problem rejecting
the submittal.

However, if the next submittal is also based on ASME
IX, I wonder how to evaluate it. Reject it outright?
Buy ASME IX and meticulously compare it to AWS D1.1
(no time or budget for that!)? Ask the contractor to
compare the steel grades, other variables, and test
performance requirements of the two codes for me? What
would you do? Any suggestions?

Thanks!