Re: The Most Ridiculous Item of the Day

In a message dated 1/11/06 4:53:01 PM Pacific Standard Time, T.W.Allen(--nospam--at)cox.net writes:

Carlo –

Let me answer your question with a question:

How do you construct a column interaction curve?

T. William (Bill) Allen, S.E.

ALLEN DESIGNS

Consulting Structural Engineers

It is not the column design issue, what i was alluding to:

"...but I seem to recall a section of the code where it was very clear
that, if Pu<0.10f'cAg, then the section can be considered a beam and not
a column. Unfortunately, I can no longer find that specific section in
the code.

It is the code prescriptive (for better word) design requirements and limitations. There is not a clearly defined design approach in the ACI code for lightly loaded columns (or am i missing it). Try to convence the plan checker when you are in gray area and he keeps telling you to Justify your design.

Carlo Diaz