Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 6:04 PM
Subject: Concrete Fire protection

Hello all,

Please assist me with my interpretation of fire rating requirements.  For a concrete slab to provide a four hour separation between a garage and the occupied spaces above, is the minimum coverage requirement for the bottom of the slab, or both top and bottom?

My interpretation was that since the separation is required for vehicle fire upward, the top reinforcement cover would be unaffected.

Does anyone have a good reference for this topic?