From: Gary Grinstead <garyg(--nospam--at)structuralstuff.com>
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Sent: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 12:03:44 -0800
Subject: RE: The Most Ridiculous Item of the Day (with apologies to Bill O'Reilly)

Bill:
1. Use the CBC definition of "Column" from section 1902...."a member with a
ratio of height-to-least-lateral dimension of 3 or greater used primarily to
support axial compressive load".  Since the only reason this would be deep
enough to have a 3:1 ratio is due to the moment from the weight of the lighting
element arm and wind load on the pole, this is not primarily supporting axial
compressive load.  I'm sure the weight of this thing is not such that a pile
would be required.  Therefore it should not be considered a column.

2. Check and see if the Public Works department in your city publishes standard
details for this type (or similar enough) poles.  If so, I'd bet money that
they would not comply with 1% steel either.

Gary Grinstead, SE
www.structuralstuff.com