From: "dave lowen" <jatech(--nospam--at)kwic.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: RE: 5/16 Fillet Weld
Date: Wed, 11 Jan 2006 20:08:44 -0500

Neil

No, I didn't mean more passes would be required. Bill was correct in stating
that a 5/16 fillet is a single pass weld. I am saying that the cross
sectional area of a 5/16 fillet is 3 times larger than that of a 3/16 fillet
requiring 3 times more filler metal to be deposited. A welding operator
cannot move the arc 3 times faster in order to deposit filler metal at the
same speed he would for a smaller weld.

Bills' thinking is wise because it provides sacrificial material for the
corrosion process. This is done all the time in steel mills, particularly in
the by-products area, where the "more is better" theory prevails.

My intent was to point out that engineers who specify larger than required
welds on their projects dramatically increase the cost of the job. I was
taught that the second highest outlay of a fab shop was hydro, and welding
consumes a lot of hydro.

Regards,

Dave

  _____