Re: AWS D1.1 v. ASME IX - WPS and PQR

On Jan 11, 2006, at 6:19 PM, Gale45man wrote:

Ask the contractor to
compare the steel grades, other variables, and test
performance requirements of the two codes for me? What
would you do? Any suggestions?
Thed ASME Code is considerably more restrictive as to welder qualifications and required testing of production welds and test plates. The essential variables for the weld itself aren't likely to be any different. The in-process QA requirements are normally predicated on shop fabrication and details peculiar to pressure vessels and piping. If it were me I'd reject the ASME Code qualificaiton as inappropriate for structure welding.
chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com       | this distance"   (last words of Gen.