RE: Any Opinions? - Eng-Tips Forum

Jim W., thank you for your insight.  I am tossing around the idea of starting a forum specifically for young and beginner structural engineers where rookie questions are acceptable.  I would also want seasoned professionals involved to post questions, philosophies, predictions, and stuff off topic (personable items of interest) also.  These seasoned professionals can share their thoughts and answer rookie questions.  I’m a young SE myself and think that this type of forum would be beneficial. I would like to believe there are others like myself who could see the value in it.  One challenge I see is getting the experienced structural engineers to participate.  I’m not sure what I could offer seasoned professionals to balance the benefit that the young engineers like myself would gain.  Helping others has some benefits in the personal satisfaction arena, but if I could I would like to figure out how to offer them more time since that is very important to professionals.  Unfortunately, I haven’t figured out how to manufacture time yet ☺

Jeremy

-----Original Message-----
From: Jim Wilson [mailto:wilsonengineers(--nospam--at)yahoo.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 8:16 AM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Re: Any Opinions? - Eng-Tips Forum

Jeremy,

One nice feature is that you can be notified by email only when selected topics of interest are posted to existing threads.  It saves getting all these email every day - that is assuming you are in email mode.

I'm not a big fan of the anonymous nature of eng-tips, though.  I like knowing who I am communicating with, but that's just me.  I tried to reach out to someone directly once through a thread and they cancelled me.  No explanation, no response to my follow-up emails to customer service.  That was the end of it and I've followed this service ever since.

Jim Wilson
Stroudsburg, PA

Gary Hodgson & Associates <ghodgson(--nospam--at)bellnet.ca> wrote:
Too great a volume! But also no off-topic discussion.
Gary

* http://www.seaint.org/sealist1.asp
* site at: http://www.seaint.org