RE: Bolt force in round column

Here is another simple equation for that situation: It is from ?Ateel Plate Engineering Data ? Vol. 1, Steel Tank for Liguid Storage ?82? by AISI.

Design tension load per bolt = 4M/ND ? W/N

Where: M = overturning moment (K-Ft)
N = number of anchor bolts
W = total weight (Kips)
D = diameter of anchor bolt circle (Ft)

T.J. Fu
Louisville, KY

"M. David Finley, P.E., P.A." <davidfinley(--nospam--at)bizsea.rr.com> wrote:
Rich,

T = P/A + MC/I.  You can use that to find the forces in every bolt.

If you are looking for the maximum tension or compression, then it simplifies to

Bolt_Group_Inertia = (Number of Bolts /  8) x (Bolt_Circle_Diameter)^2

Section_Modulus = (Bolt_Group_Inertia) / (Bolt_Circle_Diameter / 2)

Bolt_Force = (Moment / Section_Modulus) + (Axial Load / Number of Bolts)      Use correct signs for loads.

I forget the minimum number of bolts for which this is applicable ( 4? ), but from your description, it should be applicable.

David Finley
M. David Finley, P.E., P.A.
2086 SW Main Boulevard - Suite 111
Lake City, FL  32025