RE: The Most Ridiculous Item of the Day (with apologies to Bill O'Reilly)

The orientation of the member does not make it a column - the type and
magnitude of the applied loads determine whether it should be designed
as a column.

Ask him if a horizontal strut taking significant axial compressive load
needs to be designed as a column or not - if it is horizontal, it must
not be a column per his argument!

William C. Sherman, PE
(Bill Sherman)
CDM, Denver, CO