Re: Macintel [was Microsoft Word format screw-up---Help!]

> From: Christopher Wright <chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com>

> On Jan 10, 2006, at 6:51 PM, Scott E. Maxwell wrote:
>
> > OK, now I am resisting the urge to go out and get a MacBook Pro.
> I don't think I'd want to be first in line, but it's coming. If you're
> just wanting to run Office, I've found that it's already
> cross--platform. Anything you do in Windoze boots transparently in the
> Mac version. I'm told you might have to tweak VBA macros, but generally
> they run fine.

I've been running MS Office cross-platform for several years and have
not found any problems (including macros).

The new PowerBook Pro and iMac come with lots of glossy hype, including
another spin on the old intel technician commercial with a bit of
Kubrickesque a la 2001: A Space Odyssey.

Legacy software will run under something called Rosetta which is
probably similar to Classic on Mac OSX. They claim that this is NOT an
emulation mode but some software will not function without an upgrade.

New software will bear a "Universal" logo. No mention of backward
compatibility to Motorola processor machines.

The processors are dual-core (lower power than the current dual
processor desktop Macs) and the software bundles are truly incredible.

No mention of Windows compatibility. Give it time.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International