Re: AWS D1.1 v. ASME IX - WPS and PQR

> From: Gale45man <gale45man(--nospam--at)yahoo.com>

> Our design drawings require conformance to AWS D1.1

> The (Canadian) contractor has submitted a WPS and
> corresponding PQR that are based on ASME IX. I am not

> welded is 1" thick, I don't have any problem rejecting
> the submittal.
>
> However, if the next submittal is also based on ASME
> IX, I wonder how to evaluate it. Reject it outright?
> Buy ASME IX and meticulously compare it to AWS D1.1

Have the contractor provide all the required documentation (possibly
including a copy of ASME IX) to show compliance or equivalence to AWS
D1.1. They are the party that is wanting to go off-spec so the onus is
on them.

As far as I am concerned, adequate on-going QC is more important than
all the certifications in the world.

> From: "Kevin Polin" <KevinPolin(--nospam--at)Cyberonic.com>

> Go to any Book store or Library and review the book...
>
> >(no time or budget for that!)
> Make Time!!

Making the time is not the consultant's problem. It's all about billable
hours.

--
R. Paul Ransom, P. Eng.
Civil/Structural/Project/International