RE: Double Nuts on Anchor Rods

Don’t know that these are “required” by any code or standard, but “jam nuts” are often seen in locations where a single nut might be subject to “backing off” due to vibration or cyclical loading.

From: Ken Peoples [mailto:kspeoples(--nospam--at)lvta.net]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 9:35 AM
To: Seaint
Subject: Double Nuts on Anchor Rods

When we are doing structural steel detailing, we sometimes see double nuts on anchor rods - especially for industrial work.  I am curious if any of you know of any particular recommendations from AISC (or any other authority) regarding using double nuts for anchor rods.  I often see them where there are vibrations (screens), cranes, towers or stacks.