RE: Concrete Fire protection

The separation applies to both sides of the element. The only condition that code waives the requirement on one side is there is unoccupied space such as roofs and crawl spaces. So, you would need to have the cover for both top and bottom reinforcement.

Ben Yousefi, SE

Santa Monica, CA

From: Paul Feather [mailto:pfeather(--nospam--at)SE-Solutions.net]
Sent: Wednesday, January 11, 2006 5:05 PM
To: SEAOC List
Subject: Concrete Fire protection

Hello all,

Please assist me with my interpretation of fire rating requirements.  For a concrete slab to provide a four hour separation between a garage and the occupied spaces above, is the minimum coverage requirement for the bottom of the slab, or both top and bottom?

My interpretation was that since the separation is required for vehicle fire upward, the top reinforcement cover would be unaffected.

Does anyone have a good reference for this topic?