RE: Any Opinions? - Eng-Tips Forum

Gerard, thanks for your insight. It is appreciated.

-----Original Message-----
From: Gerard Madden, SE [mailto:gmadden(--nospam--at)maddengine.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 12:04 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: RE: Any Opinions? - Eng-Tips Forum

Jeremy,

You already have it right here. I've been on this list about 8 years now, started with about 6 months of engineering experience under my belt since all my experience before then was drafting while going to grad school part time...

When I didn't know what to do, needed clarification, etc... I would post a question. Not only would I usually get an array of recommendations or suggestions from my posts, but I would learn a tremendous amount from other's posts.

The cliché is true, the only stupid question is the one that's never asked. This list can be extremely helpful if you don't have a strong mentor, work in a small office where there is limited people to tap into for recommendations, or simply need to get a recommendation on where to find information.

You may be referring to the recent "how do I design a beam with axial load question" as your source of hesitation. A Junior in college needing help on his homework would ask that question in that manner. Many times on this list, students have thrown out topics for their research papers and received useful information. The beam question didn't reference any material, was very vague, and didn't explain why they were struggling (i.e.: I don't know how to calculate the bending stress etc...)

I have done the following things on this list:

1- Asked some extremely elementary questions and answered them for others
2- Asked some tough questions and answered some for others where I was capable
3- Told Some Jokes, attempt humor, make an ass of myself, and put my foot in my mouth, ranted, gotten into arguments with right wing clone jackasses :-)
4- Learned a ton of stuff, technical and business wise.

The absolute best thing about this list is the real world experiences that are shared by about a dozen active engineers on this list. Harold Sprague, Darryl R., David Fisher, Charlie Carter, Christopher Wright just to name a few (if I left you out, don't feel slighted)... their willingness to share their opinions and knowledge has definitely made me a better engineer.

So, ask away. If your question is a simple one, don't worry about it, but if you are struggling with something and are worried about looking "inexperienced" or silly, try to be specific in where your problem lies. We have no problem helping someone who is an engineer, but explaining things to someone who hasn't taken the foundation coursework can be pointless as it appeared to be in the example of this week.

To answer you original question, I don't have any opinion on ENG-Tips other than to say that I have seen some structural questions on there and some good and bad answers when I looked at it a couple of years back, never participated or signed up...

Hth,
-gm