Simplified Concrete Paving 101

I have resisted as much as possible doing any paving design.  I don’t like civil site work.  I stick with structures only.  I have come into a circumstance where I must specify some paving and I don’t have any good references.  Are there good references that describe concrete paving in simple terms?  I don’t have to do an active road design, more like parking lot type traffic, real slow.  I have heavy tank trucks using the road, not constantly, maybe several times a day.  The section of the road I have to design is 28 feet wide and about 150 feet long.  I’m thinking the subgrade is probably going to be existing site soils, no significant prep, base course, etc.  I may have crush stone base under it since the real road beyond my limits is a gravel road.

I have an old civil engineers handbook.  It has a 1 page section on concrete paving.  It doesn’t really discuss design much at all.  Are there any references that illustrate concrete paving design by a few cookie cutter equations?  Any good websites with references?

I downloaded the NAVFAC PCASE program.  It is a bit overkill for me.  Toying with the program I came up with a 6.5” slab.  I’m not sure if I used it right.  I’m thinking an 8 inch slab with nominal reinforcing, say #4 @ 16” o.c. top bars with one joint splitting the 28 ft. width and probably 7-8 joints on the length.  Does that sound reasonable for tank truck traffic from someone with paving experience?  My gut says it’s fine, but I don’t like putting a design on my drawings that I can’t justify with calculations of some kind.

Thanks for any help.

Rich