Re: Below Grade Connection - Epilogue

            Bill,

                        Good choice. I should have said in my earlier post that what I have seen is that no matter the protective finish is applied, if the steel is not clean before the finish is applied the steel will rust behind and eventually through the finish. Welds are usually not cleaned well enough to inhibit this. I have been known to instruct our field crews on occasion to blast something then brush on a zinc-rich paint. They have handheld sandblast equipment to touch up a precast finish, so this is not as outrageous as it seems, but I do get annoyed stares.

                        63 degrees and sunny here at the Top of Virginia. Honest! – we’ll get winter sometime.

            Jim Getaz

            Precast Engineer

            Winchester, Virginia