Re: bolt force, round column.

BlankQuestion was asked:

From: "Rich Lewis" <seaint03(--nospam--at)lewisengineering.com>
To: <seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org>
Subject: Bolt force in round column

------=_NextPart_000_0001_01C61606.628ED320

I have a large diameter round column with bolts at about 6 inches on center
around the perimeter of the base.  I know the axial load and the bending
moment.  The bending moment is large.  The virtual eccentricity is larger
than the column diameter so I know I have tension in some of the bolts.  Can
someone direct me to a reference, or give me a formula, to calculate the
maximum tension in the individual bolts?

REPLY:

Treat the bolt pattern as having an area and mom. of inertia.

Distribute tension uniformly and bending per basic formula.

Add both.

Multiply by bolt area.

Presto!

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz
Question was asked:

I have a large diameter round column with bolts at about 6 inches on center
around the perimeter of the base.  I know the axial load and the bending
moment.  The bending moment is large.  The virtual eccentricity is larger
than the column diameter so I know I have tension in some of the bolts.  Can
someone direct me to a reference, or give me a formula, to calculate the
maximum tension in the individual bolts?

REPLY:

Treat the bolt pattern as having an area and mom. of inertia.

Distribute tension uniformly and bending per basic formula.

Add both.

Multiply by bolt area.

Presto!

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz