RE: Folding Plate

To answer your question “How do they do it?”, they first roll a plate into a cylinder and ‘weld’ the joint (without filler metal) and then proceed to roll the cylinder into a square or rectangular profile.

From: Michael Hemstad [mailto:mhemstad(--nospam--at)mbjeng.com]
Sent: January 12, 2006 2:11 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Folding Plate

I'm a little behind in my Digests, but...

Someone correct me if I'm wrong, but I thought HSS sections have a stated range of radius (measured at the outside of corner) or 2T to 3T.  I thought they usually ran closer to 2T, which means an inside radius of 1.0T and a mid-thickness radius of 1.5T.

How do they do it?  They're bent cold.  Gradually (several progressive steps), but cold.

Mike Hemstad, P.E.

Meyer Borgman Johnson

Minneapolis, MN