Re: Equipment support design

My understanding is that the Fp would apply to the connection and the supporting steel beams (infill beams and girders), but you don't need to check the column for the amplified load.  The overturning moments from the equipment needs to be resisted by the supporting steel beams, but once you connect to the column you don't need to check the column design (just the connection to the column).  The column likely has adequate capacity to resist the amplified load since the roof live load isn't considered to be acting concurrently.

Mike Cochran SE SECB

In a message dated 1/12/2006 4:00:58 P.M. Pacific Standard Time, Ben.Yousefi(--nospam--at)SMGOV.NET writes:

I do not agree. Only the connection elements need to be designed for Fp, not the supporting members.

Ben Yousefi, SE

Santa Monica, CA

From: Casey K. Hemmatyar [mailto:khemmatyar(--nospam--at)gmail.com]
Sent: Thursday, January 12, 2006 3:52 PM
To: seaint(--nospam--at)seaint.org
Subject: Equipment support design

Dear list:
I appreciate your input on this:
My understating is that when an equipment is installed (about W=4,000 lbs) at the roof of a building, the CBC 2001 1632.2 would apply BOTH to the "attachment of the equipment" and "Supporting Frame."
The beam that is supporting the unit has to be designed for the compression/tension reactions due to Fp of the unit.
TIA
Casey K. Hemmatyar,
PE