From: ASC [mailto:ggg(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au]
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 0:32
To: Struct EngAssoc
Subject: EQUIVALENT STRESS

Since some names were recently mentioned,
I would like to brief the Respected Colleagues
on some historical developments.

The question on how to convert a given, multiaxial
state of stress to the equivalent uniaxial one is quite old.
These were the authors of the popular one,
one that states that the change of shape, rather than of volume
decides of the state of straining:

M.T. Huber, 1904

Richard von Mises, 1913

Hencky, 1924 (?)

(applicable for ductile metals.)

Since Hencky was a relative latecomer,
 this law should be called either Huber's,
or Huber-Mises. In the USA, it is known
as von Mises', but this is for the reasons
unrelated to historical truth or engineering.
As most computer programs originate from the US,
also von Mises was nested there.

It may be a loosing battle, but I always insist on Huber-Mises.

Sincerely, Gregory from Oz