RE: EQUIVALENT STRESS

Now, you aren’t suggesting that there is a political dimension related to who gets credit for this, are you?

(N.B. If we’re going to squabble over this, perhaps we should simply call it “God’s Law,” since He was the original author anyway. Von Mises and/or Huber simply discovered what was already there).

From: ASC [mailto:ggg(--nospam--at)bigpond.net.au]
Sent: Sunday, January 15, 2006 2:32 AM
To: Struct EngAssoc
Subject: EQUIVALENT STRESS

Since Hencky was a relative latecomer, this law should be called either Huber's, or Huber-Mises. In the USA, it is known as von Mises', but this is for the reasons unrelated to historical truth or engineering. As most computer programs originate from the US, also von Mises was nested there.

It may be a loosing battle, but I always insist on Huber-Mises.