RE: FOS for von-Mises stress criteria

BINGO

-----Original Message-----
From: Christopher Wright [mailto:chrisw(--nospam--at)skypoint.com]

1. Shop foreman isn't getting the production rate, asks plant engineer
how to increase crane capacity.
2. Plant engineer figures there's a 1.6 safety factor on the rails and
opines that foreman can increase the load by 1.6 for a little while.
3. Little while becomes daily; 1.6 becomes 2; plant engineer retires
and foreman gets a new job. The loading increase becomes 'perfectly OK,
we do it all the time with no problems' until the trolley slips off the
rails because the flanges are bent too far under the overload.