Sent: Monday, January 16, 2006 6:44 PM
Subject: Attaching ceiling to bottom of LVL Microlam Ceiling Joists?

I need a fast answer on this one and hope someone can help. I have been hired to correct a number of defects of constrction that were discovered by the city inspector and additional defects that I discovered on my walk-though. The one that I am unsure of is as follows.

1-3/4" x 7-1/2" MicroLam LVL C.J.'s at 16" o.c. were used by the General Contractor as a substitute for 2x8" DF C.J.'s called out on the structural drawings. This is a custom home and considering bending, the choice is not a bad one, however, I am hesitant to approve this as I don't believe you can nail or screw through the laminations along the edge of the lumber. I recall a warning about using top hung hangers on LVL beams.

I have reviewed ICC Report ESR 1387 and can find no pull-out values for nailing or screws in LVL lumber. Can anyone advise me privately since I am in a time constraint to finish this Observation correction list for the client?

Please e-mail me directly at dennis.wish(--nospam--at)verizon.net and let me know what information you can offer. If you can direct me to any other documentation that limits what can be nailed or screwed through the plies of LVL lumber I would greatly appreciate it.

Sincerely,
Dennis S. Wish, PE
California Professional Engineer
Structural Engineering Consultant